Monday, August 2, 2010

Thankyou my tiny chef.






There is something fantastic about being able to walk to a garden market to get your food. That is why I completely support the organic food movement... We are what we eat, eh? Then really, it is a powerful notion to know where you come from. This movement empowers consumers to make connections to local food distributors and to make choices regarding whether or not to support mass food chains.
I think it is mostly centered around a young crowd but not exclusively. Well, that is how I wanted to start my blog, or really, it is what I found to be the easiest way to introduce my adventure of this day. Since I have recently been taking an interest in cooking a bit, I decided that for my mother's birthday I would make her breakfast and dinner (connected to the aforementioned topic). THIS is not an easy feat, seeing as she cannot have eggs or milk. Not even Lactaid.
I realized that that called for a vegan recipe. So, let us make this short. I woke up at 6:55 thinking she was going to be up at 8. ...later to find out, more like 9.
So really I had time on my hands. I figured if she's anything like me, she has(or had a long, long time ago) a liking for french toast, easily the best breakfast food ever.
Online I found this amazing banana french toast recipe that turned out to be FANTASTICO. Truly. it tasted like real french toast but it was better in some respects. Here is it: Prep Time: 10 minutes
"Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2-3 ripe bananas
* 3/4 cup soy milk
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* bread, any kind is fine
* vegan margarine

Preparation:
Blend bananas, soy milk, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in blender or food processor and pour mixture into pie plate or wide dish. Gently dip bread slices into the mix, coating both sides. Fry in vegan margarine in medium-hot skillet until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup if desired, and, as always, enjoy your wonderful vegan French toast!"
I do not know if I have to put that in quotes.. safety measures...
It is from About.com. great website.
Later, like every time I have control of the kitchen, I fantasied about making ratatouille. To my shame, I had not heard of this dish before I saw the Disney movie but I am sure glad I did see it.
So Ratatouille is on my mind. I open the fridge and... No proper ingredients. I am alone with no permit because I am a procrastinator, and so I called up my friend, walked a half mile down the street and bought, for 8 dollars, two eggplants, 2 zucchinis, two yellow zucchinis, and tomatoes.AHA.
Long story long, here are some documentary-ish pictures of my creative outlet that was Ratatouille.

" * 1 cup piperade
* 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
* 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
* 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped thyme
* 3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
* Sea salt
* Ground black pepper
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 300F. Lightly grease a large round or oval baking dish.
Spread the piperade along the bottom of the dish. Alternating ingredients, arrange the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes in a spiral pattern around the dish. Sprinkle the squash and tomatoes with the chopped garlic and thyme.
Cover the confit byaldi with a single layer of parchment paper cut to fit the inside of the dish and rest atop the ingredients. Bake the ratatouille for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and continue baking for an additional 25 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.
Drizzle the surface of the confit byaldi with balsamic vinaigrette and season it with salt and pepper. Serve the dish fresh from the oven or allow the flavors to develop and mellow in the refrigerator for a day."

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm sounds good
    try epicurious.com for some amazing recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and tell your mom i said happy birthday

    ReplyDelete