Wednesday, September 14, 2011

connecticut folk festival






I just came back from two intense days of volunteering at the CT Folk Festival!! Well... intense because it was very very hot and because I volunteered for 12 hours altogether, albeit most was very relaxed and fun (free sustainable sushi for the volunteers!) I think it has been going on for 17 years...! The focus is to come together as a huge group as people who are into the environment, into music, or into both, and it was something I had never experienced before!



They had around 73 vendors I believe- tables and tents set up where everyone from hip and cool, and eco vendors could sell awesome things (one tent had New England made Goat's milk soap, handmade quilts and comforters, and an array of Earthy household materials. They are called the Common Good Market!)
They also had information on where to buy local in CT.... buying local is key to keeping small farmers thriving and to keep environmental costs (such as heavy transportation and factory production situations) to a minimum. Most local products, from what I've seen, come from artisans and local, family run farmers (often Organic).





Some other vendors I loved: Barefoot Books, which is a bookstore that sells books with eco-friendly messages; and Pure Play Kids, which is a store that sells creative and sustainable toys (seriously such beautiful toys... I even bought some soy-crayons!).They even had families come out and let people use their two-seater bikes!




Some mucisians that I really enjoyed listening to were Rachael Sage and Nerissa and Katryna Nields (they have a very Brandi Carlile-esq sound, its very strong and beautiful)

This woman at Barefoot Books also gave me a book for a book reading at my library (something Im planning to do with my environmental club) called The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales by Dawn Casey and Anne Wilson. Great artwork and stories!

1 comment:

  1. The festival sounds so great; I'm glad you had a good time helping out:) The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales sounds intersting, so thanks for passing that title along. It's going on my to read list. xx

    ReplyDelete